© 2011 . All rights reserved. IMG_0286_scissors_800_2

Going, Going…Gone

Second HaircutPhotographing the progression of haircuts and hair loss associated with chemotherapy seemed like a good idea in theory, but the actual posting of it for the world to see has been quite another thing.  Taking photos of the cuts has involved taking photos of me, and it seems I must have forgotten what I looked like, because some of these photos have been quite a shock to the system.

My daughter was a little shaken up by the experience too.  Being the sweet gal she is she hoped to lessen the blow of losing my hair by giving me a series of haircuts that worked up to the final shave.  She found nice styles and printed pictures for inspiration.  One slight problem arose by the end of the process.  Those pretty young models hadn’t lost a third of their hair.  Wads of hair weren’t falling out when the stylist was working on their cuts.

The task of making something beautiful out of the mess that my hair had become was a bit daunting.  My husband came home Saturday afternoon to find my stylist struggling to make my hair look something like the inspiration pictures and fighting back tears over the futility of it.   Midway through the process it became apparent that this wasn’t working out to be quite the look she was hoping to achieve for me.  I believe her expectations for herself were a bit unreasonable.  My less than impressive hairstyle wasn’t the result of operator error, it was failure of the raw materials she was working with.

So in the spirit of finishing what we started, here are some photos.  You won’t see the much of the shortest-thinnest-worst part.  My stylist/photographer couldn’t bring herself to give you the full back view.  Just a few glimpses will have to do.  Believe me, what you see here is a lot better than what’s left now.

Haircut Two in Black and White

Getting Another Haircut

It is pretty challenging to give a good cut when the hair comes out in your hands as you pull on it!

Haircut

A Peek at the Back

Haircut Three

By Sunday it seemed like a good idea to try to contain the mess a bit, so an old necktie with a brooch to pin it in place made a good head wrap.

Necktie Wrap

Despite some tears along the way, it was actually a liberating experience, an opportunity to take a chance and try something new.  Fun in a weird kind of way.

If you are going on a rough journey it is sure great to have a travelling companion that loves you and helps with the baggage.  Thanks daughter for journeying with me.

Suitcase and Scissors

34 Comments

1. joy young
    Posted 17 Jun ’11 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

you are beautiful!!!

2. Posted 17 Jun ’11 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Never saw you as pretty as you were last week…life just becomes you, whatever it brings.

3. Posted 17 Jun ’11 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

You are so lovely and so is Jessalyn! I am so glad that she is your companion in this journey. What a comfort! I love you both.

4. Posted 17 Jun ’11 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Beauty is all I see, both in words and in smile!! Thinking about you 3 all week, meant to run by today and then remembered you were in Lubbock. Thank you for sharing with us this journey. Love to you!

5. Sabra
    Posted 17 Jun ’11 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

Simple beauty….You and Jess share a very special kind of heart….praying always for all of you on this “unchosen” journey…

6. Alison Thompson
    Posted 18 Jun ’11 at 1:13 am | Permalink

precious. thanks for giving us the raw, “here’s the truth” version. your pictures are beautiful, and i am really glad you and jess are getting to bond some more even through this (as Sabra…up above…called it) “unchosen” journey. love you!

7. Mom
    Posted 18 Jun ’11 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Only you could make an old necktie or an “unchosen journey” look so good. I thank God for the gift of you.

• Posted 21 Jul ’16 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

yup, this is the perfect pie! I have had to start a new blog, I have called it when the bough broke, I picked up a nasty virus when visiitng a blog friend and it went past our Norton, I hope you find me again,

• Posted 1 Nov ’16 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

thanks a million…This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great st…

• Posted 31 Dec ’16 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Are you shopping for umbrella stroller to your infant? There are quite a few items which you should place into thought to be able to make get the most effective Umbrella Stroller. Similar to all other infant products, the quite initial issue you ought to contemplate is your baby’s safety.

• Posted 31 Dec ’16 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Hey, very cool website!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I am happy to find numerous useful info here in the post, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

• Posted 1 Jan ’17 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Thank you for a wonderful post. It clearly hits on topics than many others seem to be avoiding, asking each of us to look at ourselves, and not lashing out at each other.

• Posted 2 Feb ’17 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Temukan Materi Asuhan Keperawatan Paling Lengkap dan Praktis Mendapatkan Ebook dengan harga murah dan dapat Menghasilkan UANG Melimpah Di Internet | websiterahasiacariduit.com

8. Laura Jaye
    Posted 18 Jun ’11 at 10:31 am | Permalink

You are truly an inspiration. I pray that I will be able to handle what the world has thrown and will throw at me with the grace and beauty that is truly my “Aunt Laura”!

• Posted 21 Jul ’16 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I love reading these articles because they’re short but inrmvoatife.

• Posted 4 Nov ’16 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

That’s basically how our book club runs, except the person who’s holding the next meeting at their house gets to choose the book. We all have somewhat similar tastes, so nothing has been a book we didn’t like, but may have outside what we would have selected ourselves.

• Posted 30 Dec ’16 at 2:13 am | Permalink

OMGoddess! Its so PINK!!! I just love it (and you knew I would…grin). But I am thinking GREEN ($$) for you at your art show this weekend. Much faery love to you!

• Posted 30 Dec ’16 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

chips for facebook poker…Another thing is that while looking for a good on the internet electronics shop, look for online stores that are consistently updated, retaining up-to-date with the most current products, the perfect deals, along with helpful information on product or …

9. Posted 18 Jun ’11 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

I can’t put it any better than Alison & Sabra & your other commenters. The way you & Jessalyn include us on your “unchosen journey” is a…I don’t know…a grace? A blessing? One more way you lead by quiet example?

My heart is moved to thanks. And tears.

• Posted 21 Jul ’16 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness! a amazing post dude. Thank you Even so I will probably be excieirnpeng problem with ur rss . Don’t know why Can not subscribe to it. Will there be any person obtaining identical rss issue? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

• Posted 14 Nov ’16 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Not entirely fair – the warning was about 2020.I’ve always been inclined to anything that doesn’t release net carbon. I think the question of whether renewables suffice is interesting. I’ve never seen a convincing argument either way. It’s conventional wisdom that renewables do not suffice, but where does that come from?

• Posted 31 Dec ’16 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Free knowledge like this doesn’t just help, it promote democracy. Thank you.

• Posted 1 Jan ’17 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Properly adequately adequately assess the things people contain right here. It appears to be another amazing blogging site that a ton of folks become discussing. Thank you as much with regard to the informative data and also clear thinking, I subscribed to the feedbacks in case someone else needs to turn up and also possess a controversy on this things

10. Posted 19 Jun ’11 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Thank you for continuing to share with us – We appreciate you very much.

• Posted 6 Nov ’16 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Supiirsrng to think of something like that

• Posted 31 Dec ’16 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

I love the hats and the ornaments and the jewelry and the… I think I'll buy myself an ornament after the race. We only put ornaments with meaning on our tree, so that would be a nice addition.

• Posted 6 Jan ’17 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

« Nous savons tous ce que si joue de joie et de plaisir trouble dans des relations de tension entre les sexes et de masochisme amoureux (s’il faut parler avec ces catégories).  »Je vous en prie, corrigez votre orthographe. Enfin, quoi !

• Posted 28 Feb ’17 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Yes, please if someone has this, please please re-post so that your fellow popsters can either gag or rejoice w/ you. Don’t hold out on us, that’s just cruel after reading all these comments and not being able to see it for ourselves. Thanks loads!

11. Pam
    Posted 30 Jun ’11 at 9:28 am | Permalink

You are in my prayers. Lisa has told me so much about you that I feel that I actually know you. You are a godly woman. And that is the beauty that comes from within and shines through no matter what.

• Posted 9 Jul ’11 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Thank you Pam! It is such a blessing to know that I have friends that I haven’t even met.
      Laura

12. Posted 21 Jul ’16 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

The paragon of unnarstendidg these issues is right here!

13. Posted 19 Oct ’16 at 11:47 am | Permalink

hahaha. Buat apa tu ya beli sampai 6K rnggit malaysia tapi untuk memanjat, berjalan dan turun tangga. Sorry tak dapat tengok video internet slow, kalau tak boleh juga tengok kelebihan dia. heheNaziman recently posted..

14. Posted 14 Nov ’16 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

AFAIC that’s the best answer so far!

15. Posted 2 Feb ’17 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Et en France, c’est prévu qu’on en voit le bout de la côte de ce hamburger mythique ? Non, parce que lire votre article à 11h39, c’est l’assurance de se retrouver avec l’estomac dans les talons !! ^^

One Trackback

1. By A Hug for My Head on 25 Jul ’11 at 11:02 pm

[...] days after my first chemotherapy my hair started falling out, slowly at first, then by the handful. Most of it is just a memory now, but strangely enough a [...]

Post a Reply to http://www./

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *